0 votes
in AEM3D by [email protected] (920 points)
Hello Chris,

How the bottom shear stress calculated in ELCOM or AEM3D? Should CAEDYM model activated to calculate that? Does keyword "SHEAR" in Sheet output with <type> bottom (in datablock file) gives us the bottom shear stress. If not which probably not because I got very odd values once I tried, how can that parameter be calculated. could you please share with me calculation method.

sorry for lots of questions but I really confused. U_BOTTOM_STRESS and V_BOTTOM_STRESS both give me zero values for entire domain and simulation time. I tried it in Round_Lake Example.

Thanks,

Mohammad

1 Answer

0 votes
by [email protected] (19.4k points)
U_BOTTOM_STRESS and V_BOTTOM_STRESS are the stresses (actual output is stress/density) from water velocity. I get values for these in the Round Lake example

RESUSP_STRESS is the stress calculated for the sediment resuspension and included velocity stress and an estimate of wave generated stress.
by [email protected] (920 points)
Thanks, May I ask when you run the round Lake the Caedym was activated or not. Do you still get values without Caedym and WQ module activated. Because I got zeros and I expect stresses should be calculated just with hydrodynamic modeling.

Thanks
by [email protected] (920 points)
Also I still don't know what the "SHEAR" output means in SHEET data.
by [email protected] (19.4k points)
The bottom stress is only calculated if it is required for resuspension or if the bottom drag bc type is being used.

SHEAR is the vertical velocity shear used in the mixing model
Welcome to Hydronumerics Q&A, where you can ask questions and receive answers about the software we develop and distribute

Categories

Hydronumerics

• Suite 103 757 Bourke St Docklands Victoria 3008
  • Suite 103 757 Bourke St Docklands Victoria 3008
  • +61 3 9037 0892
  • [email protected]
  • Twitter