+1 vote
in AEM3D by [email protected] (360 points)
Is SURF_HEAT_TRANSF_COEFF, the coefficient of heat exchange from the bottom surface, or air/water surface?

I'm having trouble with water heating up too high, in the 40+ degrees.  Don't know if SURF_HEAT_TRANSF_COEFF has anything to do with it?

It's not documented in the users manual.

2 Answers

0 votes
by [email protected] (19.4k points)
Hi Reed,

SURF_HEAT_TRANSF_COEFF is the transfer coefficient for air/water exchange (AEM3D ignores sediment/water heat transfer).

The value is fairly fixed though and I'd be surprised if it was your main problem.  What are you using for longwave radiation?  Does your shortwave data look sensible?

Chris
+1 vote
by [email protected] (260 points)
I had this problem also, and after sensitivity analysis found that mean_albedo, wind_cd, and surf_heat_transf_coeff were all sensitive regarding changes in water temperature.  I used a least squares algorithm to tune these parameters, and my results look much more reasonable now.
by [email protected] (360 points)
I'm most familiar with CE-QUAL-W2 -- wind-sheltering coefficient, beta, light extinction, albedo.....  Can't find "wind_cd" function in any documentation (AEM3D or ELCOM).  What's the function of "wind_cd"?
by [email protected] (260 points)
Take a look at the ELCOM science manual, it's shown in equation 6.2 in the version I have (2.2).  It controls the wind shear.
Welcome to Hydronumerics Q&A, where you can ask questions and receive answers about the software we develop and distribute

Categories

Hydronumerics

• Suite 103 757 Bourke St Docklands Victoria 3008
  • Suite 103 757 Bourke St Docklands Victoria 3008
  • +61 3 9037 0892
  • [email protected]
  • Twitter