0 votes
in AEM3D by [email protected] (470 points)
Hi Chris,

1) As far as I understand (from the forum and manuals) DEFAULT_SSOL1_SED (or SSed from fraction 1) is the sediment mass of group 1 in g/m^2 and with it the model computes the height on the sediment pool by using the sediment density. I think it computes through H = SSed/ro, but ro is (a) the density of the particule related with the group 1 or (b) it is the dry bed density, so in this later case Ssed takes into account porosity. If the answer is the option b, where can I define this value?

2) If I use idynamicbottom=1, does the value SSed change each step-time? this is because I think H is changing according to resuspension and settling.

3)  If Ssed=0 does it mean resuspension is zero (it seems obvious just looking at the equation, but I want to be sure) in any case: idynamicbottom=0 or idynamicbottom=1?

Thank you in advance

Ricardo RB

1 Answer

0 votes
by [email protected] (19.8k points)

1) It's the dry bed density specified with the key sediment_density in the ssol.dat files.  This defaults to the value specified with density if no sediment_density is given

2)That's correct resuspension and settling leads to changes in SS_sed and a corresponding change in bottom height

3) Resuspension can only occur if there is sediment 

by [email protected] (470 points)
Thank you Chris. two last questions:

3) is there some case when the model is able to define an infinite sediment pool, but without changing the bathymetry height by using DEFAULT_SSOL1_SED_DEPTH? is it actually possible, an infinite sediment pool?

4) if I don't define DEFAULT_SSOL1_SED, the model use some value by default?

Thank you

Ricardo RB
Welcome to Hydronumerics Q&A, where you can ask questions and receive answers about the software we develop and distribute

Categories

Hydronumerics

• Suite 103 757 Bourke St Docklands Victoria 3008
  • Suite 103 757 Bourke St Docklands Victoria 3008
  • +61 3 9037 0892
  • [email protected]
  • Twitter