0 votes
in AEM3D by [email protected] (540 points)
Hi Chris,

I have two groups (Cyanobacteria, using stokes migration) and (F-diatoms, using constant settling) who are calibrated and show a good agreement with measured data. However, they do not grow below thermocline (~10m), while we see some chla concentration there in the measured data. The limits (incl. light) and growth rate show there must be no problem below 10m, however, I always see zero concentration of the both groups below 10m. I tried to adjust many different parameters in wq_files, including temperature limits, sedimentation speed, light attenuation, light limitation, etc. But the outcome is basically the same.

I would be glad to know your idea about it.

Thanks

Behnam

1 Answer

0 votes
by [email protected] (540 points)
Okay, I found the reason and I am writing it here for any similar case that might happen for others. The reason was the negative settling velocity. In CAEDYM we used to set the settling velocity as negative numbers.  However, in AEM3D the settling velocity of the CONSTANT migration model must be set positive. Otherwise the particles sink upwards and no settling happens. So, just a positive sign does the job.

Behnam
Welcome to Hydronumerics Q&A, where you can ask questions and receive answers about the software we develop and distribute

Categories

Hydronumerics

• Suite 103 757 Bourke St Docklands Victoria 3008
  • Suite 103 757 Bourke St Docklands Victoria 3008
  • +61 3 9037 0892
  • [email protected]
  • Twitter