0 votes
in AEM3D by [email protected] (120 points)

To whom it may concern

Im using AEM3D to simulate the profile distribution of water temperature, dissolved oxygen, and chlorophyll-a in deep water lakes (with an average depth of more than 70 meters) on a daily basis for four years. However, the simulated value of water temperature at the highest temperature in summer is 3 lower than the measured value (the annual measured water temperature changes range from 15 to 23 , while the simulated values range from 15 to 20 ) , the thermocline is not obvious. There seems to be too much heat penetrating into the hypolimnion. I've tired playing around a lot with the various parameters (such as mean_albedo,wind_cd and SURF_HEAT_TRANSF_COEFF) but to no avail.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated

Eric

1 Answer

0 votes
by [email protected] (19.8k points)
Hi Eric,

How confident are you in your meteorological data?  Is it collected on lake?  Are you using cloud cover or long wave radiation.
by [email protected] (120 points)
Hi,

Thank you for your response. The meteorological data I used was sourced from the closest station to the lake, not from the lake itself. I included cloud cover data in my analysis but did not use long wave radiation data.

Thanks,
Eric
by [email protected] (19.8k points)
Are you using the correct WIND_SPEED_HEIGHT and SCALAR_HEIGHt for the data.

It may also be worth downloading the ERA5 dataset for your lake location and comparing to your measurements https://cds.climate.copernicus.eu/cdsapp#!/dataset/reanalysis-era5-pressure-levels?tab=overview
Welcome to Hydronumerics Q&A, where you can ask questions and receive answers about the software we develop and distribute

Categories

Hydronumerics

• Suite 103 757 Bourke St Docklands Victoria 3008
  • Suite 103 757 Bourke St Docklands Victoria 3008
  • +61 3 9037 0892
  • [email protected]
  • Twitter